Building Blocks :: The Blanket is Finished!

, ,
I don't think I've ever worked on a project for 9 months.

{Well, other than my pregnancies... the ultimate test of strength, patience, and creativity. Am I right?}

At the beginning of the year, I enrolled in a knitting class. The project? A 12-block patchwork blanket that would serve as an introduction to a variety of knitting techniques. We followed Michelle Hunter's book, Building Blocks.

Nine months later, I have the coziest, most beautiful blanket that I've ever owned.


What a fantastic experience!

More than just technique, here's what I've learned about knitting.
  1. There is no appropriate price that can be placed on a hand-knitted item. More than the materials (which aren't cheap!) there is a huge investment of time, skill, labor... I will never balk at a price tag again.


  1. A gift of something hand-knitted is an expression of love. Seriously. Thousands of stitches, constant attention to detail... More than a gift card or anything purchased "off the rack," it is something that is created intentionally, with thought and care... L.O.V.E.

  1. Knitting is soul-satisfying. It is therapeutic. It is challenging. It builds community. I'm convinced that if everyone knitted, we'd all be happier people.
Having said that, I will confess that everyone in my house is fighting over who gets to use the blanket. I've very carefully outlined the consequences of abusing it, too. 

We'll see how long that lasts.

{smile}