A Working Lunch

, ,
Here's a photo from a recent trip Denver with two of my favorite people, Megan and Kellie.


You've heard me gush a time or two about Megan, but let me tell you about Kellie {far right}. She is one of the best people I know. The most selfless, giving, caring person. Lovely in every way.

Seriously. I’m her biggest fan.

I was so excited when she asked me to help her with a few sewing projects. It was a chance to do something for her! But then panic took over… She didn’t want me to do them for her. She wanted me to teach her how to make them herself.

I love to teach others what I know, but I’m admittedly not very good at it. I’m one of those instructors that start mid-thought, leaves out a few crucial steps along the way, and ultimately winds up just getting confused.

Yeah… it’s not one of my strengths.

So, several months ago, we tackled a duvet cover for her bed. It helped to set the stage for the rest of the room. And she learned a lot about handling a massive amount of fabric.


This week, we decided to carve out some time during our lunch hours to make a valance for the room.

I first started sewing with window treatments. Mathematically, they make sense to me. I can take a few measurements and sketch up exactly what I want to do.

Really, “sketch” is an artsy way to describe what I do. It’s actually more like chicken scratch.


But, hey, it works!

Click on the graphic below for a pattern that I drew up on my computer in case you’re interested in making the same treatment. I've factored in a 1/2" seam and a 1 1/2" hem at the bottom of the treatment into my measurements.


Beyond the fabric that we were using, all that was required was a 1” x 4” board, which was cut to the window width + 3”, and two 3” L-brackets.

After getting her off to a good start, I left Kellie to it and she did a great job assembling the piece. We didn’t line the treatment or really finish the edges {one technique at a time, right?}.


I helped her with her corner pleats, which we basted in place before tacking the treatment to the board.



I have a few inches over Kellie so I manned the power tools, but it definitely took both of us to get the treatment hung!



I think it was a hugely successful project, especially considering we did it during our lunch hours over 3 days! The yellow looks amazing against her lavender walls.

Let me know if you use the pattern or if you have any questions about the assembly. I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

I hope you're having a fantastic Labor Day weekend!