Vignettes of Christmas

, ,
So, I discovered this week that many of my ornaments did not survive the move. I didn't know they could break into so many pieces! It's almost as though they disintegrated. 

I now clearly remember one of the movers dropping my ornament boxes and scrambling to put everything back together. There were so many things going on at that moment that I filed it away, under "Let It Go."

Really. It's disappointing, but it's no big deal.

It may {or may not} surprise you to know that there is no real rhyme or reason to my decorating for Christmas.

I decorate with things that I like. And, I realize that is okay. There is nothing wrong with keeping it simple and surrounding yourself with things that inspire you, even if they don't coordinate. 

I call my strategy, "Vignette Design." {Because that almost makes it seem legit.}



{Great Target finds!}

I did, however, want to decorate my staircase this year. It is one of my favorite features of the house.

I started with a new wreath for the landing.


I added some simple ribbon flowers to a grapevine form. They were so simple to make. I purchased wired ribbon, which made manipulating the shapes of the flowers even easier.

Here's the "How To."


Cut your length of ribbon. The longer the ribbon, the bigger the flower.

Begin gathering one side of your ribbon by pulling the wire. You will want to pull the wire on both ends so you can gather your ribbon in the middle. This will give you enough wire on both ends to tie the flower into place.



Coil your ribbon into a spiral.


And tie both ends together underneath the flower.


I tied some of my flowers to the wreath with wire. I used hot glue for others to get them in a tight bunch on the form. There is no wrong way to do this. Use whatever method is most comfortable for you.


I added a few more ribbon details to my wreath.


The hardest part about making this wreath was stopping myself from going overboard.

For the banister, I wrapped 8" straw wreath forms with the same ribbon.

{I just love this flannel ribbon that I found at Michaels!}

Here's one way to create a simple ribbon hanger for a wreath.

Take a long length of ribbon and fold it in half.

Bring the loop around front the wreath like this:


Take the tails of the ribbon and tie in front of the loop.


Tie a simple bow and you're done!


Here's how my stairs turned out.




It's simple, but it makes me smile. That's what it's all about, right?

**smile**

How are your Christmas preparations going? Are you doing anything special or new this year to celebrate the holidays?