The Turnip Truck

, ,
Oh my goodness! You would not believe the past few days that I’ve had. It’s truly been an adventure of a lifetime. The turnip truck? Keep reading… I’ll explain myself later.

You may remember my post from September. I discovered that my blog was a finalist in the “Craft” category for the First Annual Blue Ribbon Blogger Awards hosted by Country Living Magazine. I was over the moon!!

But... the weeks ticked by and there was no news. I had accepted that I must not be a winner. My fellow finalists were so talented! How could I compete?

Imagine my surprise to receive an e-mail last month from one of the Country Living staffers informing me that I won the Judges’ Vote for my category! I was in total disbelief!

In fact, I didn’t really believe it until the plane took off for New York City on Wednesday of this week.

My husband and I checked in at the Dream Hotel... 


...and spent the afternoon ticking a few items off of our bucket lists. We took in a Broadway play… 


...wandered the streets of the city… 


...spotted the Naked Cowboy… 


{I didn’t even know that was on my bucket list, but… CHECK!}

On Thursday, Country Living hosted a lovely awards luncheon for us on the 44th floor of the Hearst Tower. 



Unbelievable views of the city!


We were introduced to the other winners in each category. I am in awe of these women, each so talented and confident. I am honored to be among them!

We spent time getting acquainted with each other and the Country Living staff. Let me attest – they are all warm, wonderful people! Would you expect anything less from such an amazing publication? They made each of us feel welcome from “Hello!”



Editor-in-Chief Sarah Gray Miller was in attendance, as well as celebrity judges Jodi Kahn, Cooper Boone, and Sarah McColl. I didn’t have the opportunity to meet her, but Cooper brought his friend, the beautiful Emme!


During lunch, Cooper introduced each of us and presented our awards. He was the perfect man for the job! Witty and charming {and handsome}, he put us all at ease with his casual banter.


My creative idol, Cathe Holden, designed the beautiful award ribbon that was presented inside of a cloche. So perfect and so meaningful!


After lunch, we had more time to visit and take photos. 


With the FABULOUS Jodi Kahn... Yeah... she's amazing!

And, with Sarah Gray Miller!!!!!! She told me that she liked the new 'do!

CL Staffer (and logistics genius) Mehdi took us for a stroll through the Good Housekeeping Institute on the 29th floor and the Country Living offices on the 32nd floor.


Test kitchen!!

CL Prop Closet! Can I have just a few more minutes, please??

Ready for my “turnip truck” moment? 

We were lingering in the hallway for a bit before leaving the Tower. Suddenly, two massive boardroom doors swung open and I found myself face-to-face with Donatella Versace. Gawking. Completely star struck. Completely ridiculous. Completely in her way. And. I. Couldn’t. Move.

Wait! It gets better {or worse}! Gayle King appears. Gorgeous. Gracious. Obviously confused why I was still standing in the way. 

Did I mention that I couldn’t move?

Somehow, I did manage to turn around to watch Donatella put on her gorgeous purple and black coat…

Good grief! What was I wearing?

Shall I go on? There’s more…

Nina Garcia and Joanna Coles step off of the elevator. I’m not kidding. I looked up just in time to see my husband start pointing in their direction with a big, goofy grin on his face!

Forgive us, please, NYC, we just don’t know how to behave ourselves sometimes.

Thank you so much, Country Living, for this truly great honor. There are not words to express how much it means. It will be tough to ever top this experience! May I come back sometime?

I return home, invigorated and inspired to continue working, writing, and sharing my soul with the creative world.